The Argument From Reason
Ironically, if Naturalism and Materialism are true then all knowledge, reason, and truth is illusory. In other words, if naturalism or materialism is true, we could never know it.
Two of my favorite arguments for the existence of God are The Moral Argument and The Argument From Reason. They both hit home for me. One does not need to be an expert or philosopher to have an understanding of moral duties and values OR the existence of agency, free will, and reasoning. Without studying morality, reasoning, or free will people automatically are aware of and abide, in most cases, by them. This article focuses on The Argument From Reason. Enjoy!
The links below were found at Carson Weitnauer’s website, http://www.reasonsforgod.org/the-best-reasons/the-argument-from-reason/:
- Can atheists trust what they’re thinking? by William Lane Craig
- The Argument from Reason (PDF download) by John DePoe
- Against Neurobabble by Ed Feser. More: A collection of his articles on the mind-body problem.
- The Cardinal Difficulty of Naturalism (chapter three of Miracles) by C.S. Lewis
- Libertarian Free Will and The Argument From Reason (PDF download) by Angus Menuge. More: Apologetics315 interview with Angus Menuge and A compilation of links to his articles.
- The Argument from Consciousness by J.P. Moreland. More: Explanation of the Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (YouTube video).
- “Naturalism is true”: A self-contradictory statement by Albrecht Moritz
- An Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (PDF download) by Alvin Plantinga. More: A debate with Stephen Law on the EAAN and Content and Natural Selection (PDF download).
- The Argument from Reason (PDF download) by Victor Reppert. More: Another version of the argument from reason, Interview #1 (written transcript), Interview #2 (at Apologetics315), Interview #3 (Backpack Radio).
On this topic, I highly recommend Angus Menuge, J.P. Moreland, Alvin Plantinga, and Victor Reppert.